IELTS General Test – Passage 01: Is Your Child at School Today? reading with answers explanation, location and pdf summary. This reading paragraph has been taken from our huge collection of Academic & General Training (GT) Reading practice test PDF’s.
Is Your Child at School Today?
School Attendance Information for Parents/Carers Introduction
Receiving a good full-time education will give your child the best possible start in life. Attending school regularly and punctually is essential if children are to make the most of the opportunities available to them. The law says that parents must ensure that their child regularly attends the school where he/she is registered.
What you can do to help
• Make sure your child arrives at school on time. This encourages habits of good timekeeping and lessens any possible classroom disruption. If your child arrives after the register has closed without a good reason, this will be recorded as an ‘unauthorised’ absence for that session.
• If your child has to miss school it is vital that you let the school know why, preferably on the first morning of absence. (Your child’s school will have an attendance policy explaining how this should be done.)
• If you know or think that your child is having difficulties attending the school you should contact the school. It is better to do this sooner rather than later, as most problems can be dealt with very quickly.
Authorised and Unauthorised Absence
If your child is absent and the school either does not receive an explanation from you, or considers the explanation unsatisfactory, it will record your child’s absence as ‘unauthorised’, that is, as truancy.
Most absences for acceptable reasons will be authorised by your child’s school:
• Unavoidable medical or dental appointments (if possible, arrange these for after school or during school holidays)
• An interview with a prospective employer or college
• Exceptional family circumstances, such as bereavement
• Days of religious observance.
Your child’s school will not authorise absence for the following reasons:
• Shopping during school hours
• Day trips
• Holidays which have not been agreed
• Looking after brothers or sisters or ill relatives.
Do the following statements agree with the information given in the text above?
In boxes 1-5 on your answer sheet, write:
TRUE if the statement is true
FALSE if the statement is false
NOT GIVEN if the information is not given in the passage
1. Children must go to the school where they are registered.
2. All arrivals after the register has closed are recorded as ‘unauthorised’ absences.
3. If your child is absent from school, you must send the school a letter to explain why.
4. Staff who think a child is having difficulties at school will contact the parents.
5. Schools will contact other authorities about children who take frequent unauthorised absences.
1) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – SUSTAINABLE SCHOOL TRAVEL STRATEGY ↗
2) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – FLU: THE FACTS ↗
3) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – HOW TO GET A JOB IN JOURNALISM ↗
4) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – TIPS FOR EFFECTIVE BUSINESS PRESENTATION ↗
5) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – WHAT IS IT LIKE TO RUN A LARGE SUPERMARKET ↗
Check out Is Your Child at School Today? reading answers below with explanations and locations given in the text.
3. NOT GIVEN
4. NOT GIVEN
5. NOT GIVEN
Have any doubts??? Discuss in the comments ...
If you want the pdf summary of Is Your Child at School Today? reading passage and answers, please write your email in the comment section below. We’ll send it across at the speed of light.
ALL THE BEST !