IELTS General Test – Passage 04: Maternity Allowance for working women reading with answers explanation, location and pdf. This reading paragraph has been taken from our huge collection of Academic & General Training (GT) Reading practice test PDFs.
Maternity Allowance for working women
You can claim Maternity Allowance once you’ve been pregnant for 26 weeks. Payments start 11 weeks before the date on which your baby is due.
The amount you can get depends on your eligibility. You could get either:
● £140.98 a week or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is less) for 39 weeks
● £27 a week for 14 weeks
Maternity Allowance for 39 weeks
You might get Maternity Allowance for 39 weeks if one of the following applies:
● you’re employed
● you’re self-employed and pay Class 2 National Insurance (including voluntary National Insurance)
● you’ve recently stopped working
You may still qualify even if you’ve recently stopped working. It doesn’t matter if you had different jobs, or periods when you were unemployed.
Maternity Allowance for 14 weeks
You might get Maternity Allowance for 14 weeks if for at least 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before your baby is due:
● you were married or in a civil partnership
● you were not employed or self-employed
● you took part in the business of your self-employed spouse or civil partner
How to claim
You’ll need an MA1 claim form, available online. You can print this and fill it in, or fill it in online. You also need to provide a payslip or a Certificate of Small Earnings Exemption as proof of your income, and proof of the baby’s due date, such as a doctor’s letter.
You should get a decision on your claim within 24 working days.
You should report any changes to your circumstances, for example, if you go back to work, to your local Jobcentre Plus as they can affect how much allowance you get.
Complete the sentences below.
Choose NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS AND/OR A NUMBER from the text for each answer.
Write your answers in boxes 23-27 on your answer sheet.
23. The maximum amount of money a woman can get each week is £……………… .
24. Being ………………. for a time does not necessarily mean that a woman will not be eligible for Maternity Allowance.
25. In order to claim, a woman must send a ………………. or a Small Earnings Exemption Certificate as evidence of her income.
26. In order to claim, a woman may need to provide a ……………….. as evidence of the due date.
27. Payment may be affected by differences in someone’s ………………… , such as a return to work, and the local Jobcentre Plus must be informed.
1) IELTS 15 READING PASSAGE – RICE COOKERS ↗
2) IELTS 15 READING PASSAGE – SAFETY WHEN WORKING ON ROOFS ↗
3) IELTS 15 READING PASSAGE – CONSUMER ADVICE ↗
4) IELTS 15 READING PASSAGE – THE CALIFORNIA GOLD RUSH OF 1849 ↗
5) IELTS 15 READING PASSAGE – HARVEY’S STORAGE ↗
Answers with Explanation
Check out Maternity Allowance for working women reading answers below with explanations and locations given in the text.
26 doctor’s letter
Have any doubts??? Discuss in the comments ...
If you want the pdf summary of Maternity Allowance for working women reading passage and answers, please write your email in the comment section below. We’ll send it across at the speed of light.
ALL THE BEST !