IELTS General Test – Passage 18: Should you pay someone to write your CV? reading with answers explanation, location and pdf. This reading paragraph has been taken from our huge collection of Academic & General Training (GT) Reading practice test PDF’s.
Should you pay someone to write your CV?
In my view, the belief that the individual is the best person to write their own CV is not always true. Although many people can write their own CVs, and do it well, others struggle with a variety of problems initially, such as not knowing how to structure a CV or how to highlight their most relevant strengths.
Through in-depth consultation, a professional CV writer can help identify exactly what is necessary for a particular role, cut out unnecessary or irrelevant details, and pinpoint what makes the individual stand out. This level of objectivity is one of the major benefits of working with a professional writer. It’s often difficult to stand back from your own career history to assess what’s relevant or not, or to choose the most appropriate qualities.
If you do choose to work with a professional CV writer, here are some tips:
Ask for a CV writer who has experience in your sector. HR professionals and recruiters with relevant experience can also have valuable insights into what companies are looking for.
Look for someone who’s prepared to take the time to find out your core qualities, who can choose exactly the right words for maximum impact and who understands what and where to edit. Ask to see samples of their work or use personal recommendations before you choose a CV writing service.
You’ll probably need to answer an in-depth email questionnaire or be interviewed before any writing actually starts. The more you can give your CV writer to work with, the better, so the promise of a quick turnaround time isn’t always going to result in the best possible CV. Take the time to think about and jot down your career aims, your past successes, and the value you bring, before you start the whole process. Your CV will probably be used as a springboard for questions at interview, so you need to make sure you feel happy with the way it’s being written and with the choice of words. Being involved in the writing process means your CV sounds authentic.
Complete the sentences below.
Choose ONE WORD ONLY from the text for each answer.
15. Some jobseekers have difficulty with their CV because they have not learnt which qualities they should………
16. Professional CV writers know which………………are best left out of the CV.
17. CV writers with knowledge of a particular field of work often provide useful………………about the skills firms expect from job applicants.
18. It is advisable to request……………….of what a professional CV writer has previously produced.
19. Professional CV writers often ask jobseekers to work through a………………as a first step.
20. If the jobseeker assists the professional writer, the tone of the CV will be……………..
1) IELTS 16 READING PASSAGE – THE BEST HIKING BOOTS ↗
2) IELTS 16 READING PASSAGE – BEEKEEPING WORKSHOP AT ELM FARM ↗
3) IELTS 16 READING PASSAGE – FEATHERS IN EUROPEAN HISTORY ↗
4) IELTS 16 READING PASSAGE – HISTORY OF WOMEN’S FOOTBALL IN BRITAIN ↗
5) IELTS 16 READING PASSAGE – STARTING A NEW JOB ↗
Answers with Explanation
Check out Should you pay someone to write your CV? reading answers below with explanations and locations given in the text.
Have any doubts??? Discuss in the comments ...