IELTS General Test – Passage 04: Good customer service in retail reading with answers explanation, location and pdf. This reading paragraph has been taken from our huge collection of Academic & General Training (GT) Reading practice test PDF’s.
Good customer service in retail
Without customers, your retail business would not exist. It stands to reason, therefore, that how you treat your customers has a direct impact on your profit margins. Some customers just want to browse and not be bothered by sales staff.
Try to be sensitive to how much help a customer wants; b proactive in offering help without being annoying. Suggest a product that naturally accompanies what the customer is considering or point out products for which there are special offers, but don’t pressure a customer into buying an item they don’t want.
Build up a comprehensive knowledge of all the products in your shop, including the pros and cons of product s that are alike but that have been produced under a range of brand names. If you have run out of a particular item, make sure you know when the next orders are corning in. Negativity can put customers off instantly. If a customer asks a question to which the answer is ‘no’, do not just leave it at that – follow it with a positive, for example: ‘we’re expecting more of that product in on Tuesday’.
Meanwhile, if you see a product in the wrong place on a shelf, don’t ignore it – put it back where it belongs . This attention to presentation keeps the shop tidy, giving the right impression to your
customers. Likewise, if you notice a fault with a product, remove it and replace it with another.
When necessary, be discreet.
For example, if the customer’s credit card is declined at the till, keep your voice down and enquire about an alternative payment method quietly so that the customer doesn’t feel humiliated. If they experience uncomfortable emotions in your shop, it’s unlikely that they’ll come back.
Finally, good manners are probably the most important aspect of dealing with customers. Treat each person with respect at all times, even when you are faced with rudeness. Being discourteous yourself will only add more fuel to the fire.
Build a reputation for polite, helpful staff and you’ll find that customers not only keep giving you their custom, but also tell their friends about you.
Complete the sentences below.
Choose NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS for each answer.
Write your answers in boxes 21- 27 on your answer sheet.
- A …………… approach to selling is fine as long as you do not irritate the customer.
- Recommend additional products and ……………. without being too forceful.
- Know how to compare similar products which have different ……………….
- Avoid …………… by always saying more than ‘no’.
- Keep an eye on the …………… of goods on the shelves.
- If a customer has problems paying with their……………… handle the problem with care.
- Any ………….. from a customer should not affect how you treat them.
1) IELTS 16 READING PASSAGE – RIPTON FESTIVAL ↗
2) IELTS 16 READING PASSAGE – REDUCING INJURIES ON THE FARM ↗
3) IELTS 16 READING PASSAGE – BARRINGTON MUSIC SERVICE ↗
4) IELTS 16 READING PASSAGE – ISLAND ADVENTURE ACTIVITIES↗
5) IELTS 16 READING PASSAGE – HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR BUILDER ↗
Answers with Explanation
Check out Good customer service in retail reading answers below with explanations and locations given in the text.
- SPECIAL OFFERS
- BRAND NAMES
- CREDIT CARD