IELTS General Test – Passage 04: Hilton Laboratory reading with answers explanation, location and pdf summary. This reading paragraph has been taken from our huge collection of Academic & General Training (GT) Reading practice test PDFs.
Health and safety in the workplace
You must be familiar with the emergency procedures in your building so that you know what to do in the event of fire, spillages or other accidents. Do not enter restricted areas without authorisation, and at all times observe the warnings given. Do not wedge open fire doors or tamper with door closures, and do not block doorways, corridors or stairs, as obstructions may affect access in the event of a fire. Avoid leaving drawers and doors open unnecessarily and do not trail cables or flexes across the floor.
How to dispose of rubbish safely
We aim to protect the environment by saving and recycling glass, waste paper, and an increasing range of other materials. It is important to check materials carefully for contamination before placing them in recycling containers. Never put sharp objects such as razor blades or broken glass into waste bins without having wrapped the items carefully to protect those emptying the bins. Other waste procedures may vary – contact your Building Manager or Divisional Safety Officer for advice with regard to your particular department.
How to handle heavy objects
Make sure that shelves are not overloaded and that glass and heavy objects are stored at working height where they will be easier to reach. Use steps or ladders to reach items at height; never climb on benches, tables or chairs. Never move anything that is beyond your capability. Wherever possible you should use the trolleys provided in the workplace to do the job for you. If repetitive manual operations are routine in your work, your department will ensure you receive appropriate instruction on safe working practices and posture.
If you become mentally or physically tired during the working day, and find that you’re feeling drowsy or not concentrating properly, you could be at risk of causing an accident or making a mistake that could harm you or your colleagues. To prevent this, make sure that you take regular breaks when necessary.
Complete the sentences below.
Choose NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS from the text for each answer.
Write your answers in boxes 22-27 on your answer sheet.
22. There are certain places in the building that staff should avoid unless they have ………….……
23. To ensure people can get out easily, it is important that there are no …….………… to exits.
24. Items which could cause injury must be ……….……… before they are disposed of.
25. Not all departments have the same system for dealing with ……….……… so you need to check before throwing things away.
26. ………….……are available to make tasks, which require moving objects easier.
27. You should have ………….…… while you are working.
1) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – SUSTAINABLE SCHOOL TRAVEL STRATEGY ↗
2) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – FLU: THE FACTS ↗
3) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – HOW TO GET A JOB IN JOURNALISM ↗
4) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – TIPS FOR EFFECTIVE BUSINESS PRESENTATION ↗
5) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – WHAT IS IT LIKE TO RUN A LARGE SUPERMARKET ↗
Check out Hilton Laboratory reading answers below with explanations and locations given in the text.
24. wrapped (carefully)
27. (regular) breaks
Have any doubts??? Discuss in the comments ...
If you want the pdf summary of Hilton Laboratory reading passage and answers, please write your email in the comment section below. We’ll send it across at the speed of light.
ALL THE BEST !