IELTS General Test – Passage 08: How to answer any interview question reading with answers explanation, location and pdf summary. This reading paragraph has been taken from our huge collection of Academic & General Training (GT) Reading practice test PDF’s.
Reading Passage 08
How to answer any interview question
To start, take a tip from consultants who coach executives on how to handle media interviews. They say you can deliver the message you want to an employer, regardless of the question you’re asked.
’Unlike some politicians, who take no notice of press questions and immediately introduce a different topic in response, job candidates must answer employers’ queries,’ says John Barford of the interview training firm Genesis. ‘However, you can quickly make the transition from your answer to the important points you want to convey about your qualifications,’ he says.
He advises candidates at job interviews to apply the formula Q = A + 1: Q is the question; A is the answer; + is the bridge to the message you want to deliver; and 1 is the point you want to make.
Diligent preparation is also necessary to effectively answer any interview question, say senior executives. They give a number of useful tips:
• Learn as much as you can beforehand. Ask company employees questions prior to job interviews to gain as much insight as you can. If the company is publicly owned, find out how viable it is by reading shareholder reports. You can then tailor what you say to the company’s issues.
• Be prepared for questions that require you to show how you handled difficult challenges. These questions require stories in response, but as it’s unlikely that you’ll have one that fits every situation, try to recall some from your past experience that show how you coped with a range of issues.
• Count on being asked about a past mistake or blemish on your career record, and don’t try to dodge the issue. Ms Murphy, president of the Murphy Group, a media interview training firm, says that it’s important to steer clear of lies at all costs. Just answer the question and move on.
• When discussing a mistake, focus on the positive outcomes. You learn as much by dropping the ball as you do by catching it,’ says senior executive Mr Friedmann. When he was being interviewed for his current job, he mentioned he had been involved in many successful turnarounds and one that failed. ’And I said how I’d benefited in many ways from going through that experience,’ he says.
Complete the sentences below.
Choose NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS from the text for each answer.
Write your answers in boxed 22-27 on your answer sheet.
22. The writer warns candidates not to imitate the way that …………….. ignore questions in interviews.
23. Interviewees are recommended to follow a certain …………….. to allow them to communicate their main points.
24. Senior executives advise candidates to request information from …………….. before an interview.
25. A candidate can also learn about a business by studying its ……………..
26. The head of an interview training firm advises people to avoid telling ……………..
27. In his job interview, one executive explained how he had …………….. considerably from a previous failure.
How to answer any interview question Answers
Check out How to answer any interview question reading answers below with explanations and locations given in the text.
Have any doubts??? Discuss in the comments ...
How to answer any interview question PDF
If you want the pdf summary of How to answer any interview question reading passage and answers, please write your email in the comment section below. We’ll send it across at the speed of light.
ALL THE BEST !