IELTS General Test – Passage 13: How to organise a successful Business conference reading with answers explanation, location and pdf summary. This reading paragraph has been taken from our huge collection of Academic & General Training (GT) Reading practice test PDFs.
HOW TO ORGANISE A SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS CONFERENCE
To start with
Advance planning is the key to a hassle-free conference. The key players of a successful conference are the delegates, so identify the audience and then tailor the programme you are planning to their particular needs.
Where and when
The date and venue should then be chosen. These are often interdependent, and when choosing the date take into account the timing of similar regular events which may clash. Also, consider holiday periods which may mean that people are away and so will not be able to attend.
When choosing a venue, check how easy it is to reach by train and plane etc. and the availability of parking for those driving. Visit the venue personally: consider the size of the main lecture hall and whether it is big enough for the anticipated number of delegates, then look into the potential of having breakout areas for separating into a number of groups for discussions. Then check whether there is a suitable lounge area for the tea/coffee breaks and an exhibition space for display stands if required.
The next stage is to choose the speakers and invite them, making sure you give them ample notice so they are more likely to be available. Ask only those people that you know speak well. Do not try and speak yourself in addition to organising the conference, as this will be too demanding.
Let people know the date and venue by an early mailshot. This allows them, if they are interested, to put the date into their diaries. At the same time, contact all the speakers again, confirming their particular topic, the audio-visual aids which will be available and finding out their accommodation requirements. Ask them to provide a written summary of their presentation for distribution to delegates at the conference.
Approximately 4-5 weeks before the conference, confirm the provisional numbers with the venue. Contact them again about two weeks prior to the conference to confirm final numbers, decide on menus and finalise the arrangements.
Prepare delegate packs to include a name badge, delegate list and programme. The venue should provide pads of paper and pens. Then prepare questionnaires for all delegates to complete at the end of the conference. Their responses will enable you to gauge the success of the conference and start planning the next one!
Complete the notes below.
Choose ONE WORD ONLY from the text for each answer.
Write your answers in boxes 15-20 on your answer sheet.
ORGANISING A BUSINESS CONFERENCE
– decide who the conference is for
– ensure the programme fulfils delegates’ requirements
Venue and timing:
– try to avoid scheduling the conference during 15 ……………. times or when other annual conferences occur
– check accessibility by different modes of transport
– choose a place with a large hall and also 16 ……………. spaces for smaller meetings
– choose appropriate speakers
– give the speakers as much 17 ……………. as possible
– send out a mailshot to potential delegates
– confirm individual details with speakers, check if they will need accommodation and request a 18 ……………. of their presentation
– give the venue precise numbers of attendees
– make sure each person attending receives information about the conference and a 19 ………… for identification
– use 20 ………….. to get opinions on the conference
1) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – VISITOR ATTRACTIONS AT SOUTHERN ENGLAND ↗
2) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – PARAGLIDING IN AUSTRALIA ↗
3) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – HOW TO PREPARE FOR AN INTERVIEW ↗
4) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – SETTING UP YOUR OWN BUSINESS ↗
5) IELTS 11 READING PASSAGE – UNDERSTANDING HARES ↗
Check out How to organise a successful Business conference reading answers below with explanations and locations given in the text.
Have any doubts??? Discuss in the comments ...
If you want the pdf summary of How to organise a successful Business conference reading passage and answers, please write your email in the comment section below. We’ll send it across at the speed of light.
ALL THE BEST !