General (GT) Test 1 – Passage 04: International Students House reading answers with location, explanation and pdf summary. This reading paragraph has been taken from our huge collection of Academic & General Training (GT) Reading practice test PDF’s.
IELTS reading module focuses on evaluating a candidate’s comprehension skills and ability to understand English. This is done by testing the reading proficiency through questions based on different structures and paragraphs (500-950 words each). There are 40 questions in total and hence it becomes extremely important to practice each and every question structure before actually sitting for the exam.
This reading passage mainly consists of following types of questions:
- True/False/Not Given
We are going to read information about an accommodation centre in Britain and its services. You must read the passage carefully and try to answer all questions correctly.
International Students House
International Students House is a unique club and accommodation centre for British and overseas students in London. It is located in the heart of London’s West End and is close to all public transport facilities.
- comfortable accommodation for up to 450 people in single, twin, 3/4 bedded and multibedded rooms * 44 selfcontained flats for married students and families * long and short stays welcomed
Club membership is open to all full time students, professional trainees, student nurses and au pairs. Membership costs are kept to an absolute minimum to enable the widest possible access. You can join for as little as one month and for up to one year at a time. Membership entitles you to use the various facilities of the House. It has:
- restaurants * student bars and coffee shop * study rooms * clubs and societies * aerobics and fitness training * discos, dance, jazz and cinema * travel and excursions and much more! The best way to check out all we have on offer is to drop in any Tuesday evening between 7.15 pm and 8.30 pm for Open House in the
Club Room. This is an opportunity for you to meet the staff and other club members, enjoy a free cup of coffee and find out all about what’s going on. You can take advantage of special membership offers. (Useful tip: bring along 3 passport size photographs if you wish to take out membership.)
Thanks to the support of STA Travel and in association with LCOS (the London Conference on Overseas Students) International Students House now provides the service of an International Students Adviser. This new welfare service is open to all students at London’s bonafide academic institutions. It aims to provide welfare support to help students overcome any personal or practical difficulties they may be experiencing whilst studying in Britain. One of the key features of the Advice Service is that the Adviser can be seen during the evenings until about 8 pm, Monday to Thursday.
CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR
Unable to get home for Christmas? How about joining in the fun at International Students House! Check out our special programme of activity taking place over the Christmas period. Even come and stay the House will be offering reduced accommodation rates for students wishing to spend a few days in London over Christmas. We’ll also have an exciting New Year’s Eve party so come and join us and ring in the new year in the spirit of internationalism.
Read the article on International Students House and look at the statements below. In boxes 22-29 on your answer sheet write:
|TRUE||if the statement is true|
|FALSE||if the statement is false|
|NOT GIVEN||if the information is not given in the passage|
22. The club has long-term dormitory accommodation.
23. Membership must be renewed monthly.
24. The club provides subsidised restaurant meals.
25. The club is open to non-members on Tuesday evenings.
26. STA Travel help finance the Students Adviser.
27. The services of the Students Adviser are free to all club members.
28. You must make an appointment to see the Students Adviser.
29. There will be a surcharge for accommodation over the Christmas period.
Answers with Explanation
Check out your International Students House reading answers below with location and explanation given in the text.
|22-29||True, False, Not Given||• skimming/scanning for specific information|
• distinguishing between what is clearly stated and what is not stated.
• understanding paraphrase and gist
• Read the task rubric carefully. Note that you have to make a judgement about the list of statements.
• Note the difference between information that is false (i.e. the passage says the opposite) and information that is not given (i.e. not stated in the passage at all).
• Read question 22. This statement is about overnight accommodation.
• Scan the paragraph headings for a reference to accommodation. The first heading is “Accommodation”
• Skim through this section of the text to see if there is any information about how long you can stay at the club for. At the end of the section it states: “long and short stays welcomed”. So the answer to question 22 is True.
• Repeat this procedure with questions 23-29.
|Question||Answer & Location of answer in text|
|22||T||“long and short stays welcomed”|
|23||F||“You can join the Club … for up to one year at a time.”|
|25||T||Gist of last part of Membership section.|
|26||T||“Thanks to the support of STA travel … International Students House now provides the services of an International Students Adviser.”|
|29||F||“… the club will be offering reduced accommodation rates for students wishing to spend a few days in London over Christmas.”|
Have any doubts??? Discuss in the comments ...
If you want to download the International Students House reading pdf, please write your email in the comment section below. We’ll send it across at the speed of light.
You can buy the complete booklet here at discounted price.
All the best !
|Disclosure: We sometimes use affiliate links in our content. This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we’ll receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. These links help us to offset the costs of running this website. Thanks for understanding!|
1 thought on “International Students House: Reading Answers”
Please send me the pdf of this test