IELTS General Test – Passage 07: Planning a gap year reading with answers explanation, location and pdf summary. This reading paragraph has been taken from our huge collection of Academic & General Training (GT) Reading practice test PDF’s.
Shooting Star – Planning a gap year
The best reason to take a gap year between school and work or higher education is to improve your CV with experience overseas. This is why some school leavers in Britain now consider a year out to be essential. Many want to travel, with Sydney the favourite destination. Shooting Star is an organisation that helps school leavers by offering training followed by appropriate employment.
We at Shooting Star offer much more than a trip abroad. At Shooting Star you acquire skills that lead to interesting jobs both for your gap year and future holidays. Magazines are full of ‘Wanted’ adverts for washing up in a restaurant. Well, we don’t do that – it’s not our idea of excitement. We offer school leavers the chance for outdoor adventure, to teach things like sailing and snowboarding. No choice, really! In your year out you train, travel and work; you can combine work with pleasure and reap the rewards. You could become an experienced yacht skipper or instructor and many people go on to spend their future holidays being paid to enjoy their favourite sport.
Australians and New Zealanders travel to Europe and North America in large numbers to gain overseas experience. Those who qualify with Shooting Star are very soon using their skills in jobs they could only dream about before, working outdoors and seeing more of the world. Wherever you come from, a gap year with Shooting Star means professional training and international adventure.
Top tips for a successful gap year:
* Design your gap year in outline before applying for a permanent job or a college place. Human Resources officers or Admissions tutors will be impressed by a thought-out plan.
* What’s more important to you – travel or work experience? You can be flexible with travel plans but you must research job opportunities in advance. Go to our website and click on Recruitment for ideas.
* Who do you know who has taken a gap year before? Shooting Star can put you in touch with someone who has just completed one.
* Sort out the admin in plenty of time – air tickets, visas, insurance and medical matters such as vaccinations for some destinations. These are your responsibility.
* Who is in charge of your affairs while you are away? There will be forms to fill and letters to answer.
* Allow plenty of time to settle back home on your return – and don’t be surprised if it takes some time to readjust to everyday life!
Do the following statements agree with the information given in the text above?
In boxes 15-20 on your answer sheet, write
TRUE if the statement agrees with the information
FALSE if the statement contradicts the information
NOT GIVEN if there is no information on this
15. For some young British people, the purpose of a gap year is to improve their academic qualifications.
16. Shooting Star finds employment for young people in the catering industry.
17. Training with Shooting Star can be expensive.
18. New trainees find it easy to get the sort of work they want.
19. New trainees who want work experience should check out vacancies before they depart.
20. Shooting Star helps with travel arrangements.
Check out Shooting Star – Planning a gap year reading answers below with explanations and locations given in the text.
15- NOT GIVEN
17- NOT GIVEN
18- NOT GIVEN
19- NOT GIVEN
Have any doubts??? Discuss in the comments ...
If you want the pdf summary of Shooting Star – Planning a gap year reading passage and answers, please write your email in the comment section below. We’ll send it across at the speed of light.
ALL THE BEST !